Have you ever thought that you could make choices to live more sustainably AND save money? This week's episode is a huge reframe! Our interview with Bea Johnson is inspiring, insightful and practical.
In 2008, Bea and her family adopted a zero waste lifestyle; their household has since produced a ½ litre of trash per year. With her blog and bestseller Zero Waste Home (translated in 17 languages), Bea launched a global movement and continues to inspire a growing community to live simply and take a stance against needless waste. She shatters misconceptions, proving that zero waste can not only be stylish, but also lead to significant health benefits, and time and money savings.
Her family discovered they were saving 40% more by following these 5 R's in the order presented:
1. Refuse - Begin here by saying no to things you don't need. Refuse to buy more than you need or packaged items that will find their way to a landfill.
2. Reduce - Use less. Buy less. Simplify your life. There are many ways we can reduce in our lives. We get some practical advice from Bea on this topic.
3. Reuse - How can you reuse items you already own? Can you repurpose something? Instead of throwing things into the trash how about finding another way to use it. Using old clothes as rags is one simple example.
4. Recycle - As Bea said this is where most of us start. We have bought into recycling without recognizing that there is still an environmental impact when we recycle. It's a good thing to do but sending less to the recycling plant is a good step as well.
5. Rot - Do you compost? Depending where you live you may have a green bin where your city picks up composting. You can also do this at home and create your own compost to use in your garden. Jo-Anne has been doing this for years.
We get into way more...from wine to mascara and how we can make better choices to live more sustainably.
We think you'll be challenged by this conversation AND inspired to Reframe Your Life.
We recommend picking up a copy of Zero Waste Home either at your local bookstore, online (click on cover above) or at your library. You'll find a lot of practical ideas to implement in your life.
And don't forget our retreat on November 18th. We'll be spending a full day looking at how we can live and lead our best lives. Consider attending. We would love to learn with you.